The Post-Merkel Return of German Ideologies – FP, 16.09
After years of consensus, a new era of division is set to roil German politics at home and abroad. By Adam Tooze, a columnist at Foreign Policy and director of the European Institute at Columbia University
Germany Has Three Chancellor Candidates but No Answers – FP, 15.09
A nationally televised debate mostly highlighted the weaknesses of the leading contenders to succeed Angela Merkel. By Peter Kuras, a writer, translator, and editor living in Berlin
Germany Braces for Election Disinformation – FP, 13.09
A growing conspiracy movement is likely to spread false narratives about the results, with echoes of Trump. By Jessica Bateman, a freelance journalist focused on social issues around Europe
Germany’s Post-Pacifist Generation Is Nearing Power – FP, 3.05
The world according to Annalena Baerbock, the Green Party candidate—and frontrunner to become chancellor. – By Emily Schultheis, a freelance journalist based in Berlin.
German Voters Just Dealt Merkel’s Party a Body Blow – FP, 16.03
Ahead of national elections in September, the CDU has to decide where to go from here. By Sudha David-Wilp
Armin Laschet elected head of Merkel’s CDU party – DW, 16.01
- Germany’s governing CDU party has chosen Armin Laschet as its new party leader. Party members elected Laschet in an online convention. He is now in a strong position to become the Christian conservatives’ candidate in general elections held later this year, since Chancellor Angela Merkel has said she would not run again. The 59 year-old beat rivals Friedrich Merz and Norbert Röttgen to the top spot. Laschet is state premier of North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany’s most populous state. He is considered a moderate, and has vowed to continue Merkel’s policy of keeping the CDU in the political center. Laschet replaces Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer, who took over the party leadership from Merkel in 2018.
Merkel ally Armin Laschet elected new leader of Germany’s CDU party – 16.01
- Chancellor Angela Merkel’s center-right party on Saturday chose Armin Laschet, the pragmatic governor of Germany’s most populous state, as its new leader — sending a signal of continuity months before an election in which voters will decide who becomes the new chancellor.
As Merkel Prepares to Step Down, the Future of German Conservatism Is Open – FP, 13.01
The three men standing to replace Merkel as chair of the CDU will take the party in strikingly different directions. By Sudha David-Wilp
Germany faces ‘hard times’ in 2021 says Chancellor Merkel in New Year’s speech – DW, 31.12.20
- German Chancellor Angela Merkel has called on Germans to help beat the pandemic by sticking to the rules in the weeks and months ahead. In what is likely to be her final New Year’s address, Merkel said that Germany faced “hard times” but that there was hope in sight — now that vaccinations have begun.
- Presa germană: Cuvântul „rasă” va fi scos din Constituție – 22.10.20
- Peste un sfert dintre locuitorii Germaniei sunt imigranţi sau descendenţi ai imigranţilor – 28.07.20
- Schimbare de paradigmă: Majoritatea germanilor vor reguli mai dure pentru solicitanții de azil – 13.07.20
- Extremism and the German Military – FP, 15.07
- Extremişti de dreapta în armata federală germană – 2.07.20
How Germany’s Angela Merkel has stayed in power for so long – DW, 20.11
- Many people don’t remember a Germany that wasn’t run by Angela Merkel. Germans go to the polls again in late 2021, and Angela Merkel has already announced she won’t run again. With no clear successor, a power vacuum is brewing in Berlin. The coming months will determine Merkel’s legacy, and the future of Germany and Europe. So how did she get to where she is? How did she manage to stay in power for so long?
Good times ahead for German post-virus economy – DW, 25.12.20
Soare la orizont pentru industria românească: principala piaţă, cea a Germaniei, e pe drumul cel bun. Producţia industrială, cel mai important indicator pentru industria românească, a crescut pentru a treia lună la rând în iulie lună/lună, dar a rămas încă pe minus de două cifre faţă de 2019 – ZF, 27.09.20
De ce face Germania mai bine față crizei – DW, 22.09.20
Germania: O mare gaură în bugetul de stat – DW, 14.09.20
Mobilizare fără precedent a guvernului german pentru a preveni criza Coronavirusului în economie – credite nelimitate, facilități fiscale, subvenții ale șomajului tehnic, eventuale naționalizari temporare – 13.03.20
Cum vrea Germania să salveze Deutsche Bahn – 28.05.20
30 de ani de la reunificare
- Angela Merkel: “E nevoie, în continuare, de curaj” – DW, 3.10.20
- Haideţi să aniversăm diversitatea şi nu unitatea! – DW, 3.10.20
- Berlinul înainte şi după reunificare – DW, 29.09.20
- Schäuble: “Avem nevoie de o cooperare mai bună cu Rusia” – 3.10.20
Estul, Vestul și unitatea – șanse ratate, conflicte noi – DW, 3.10.20
Gorbachev Was Right About German Reunification – FP, 2.10.20
Thatcher and Mitterrand nearly stopped it from happening, but 30 years on, reunification remains the world’s most successful geopolitical experiment. By Elisabeth Braw