Can Biden’s Vaccine Patent Waiver End the Pandemic? – FP, 6.05
Health experts laud a big step forward—but try explaining that to Indian or Brazilian hospitals in a deadly race against time. By Michael Hirsh, a senior correspondent and deputy news editor at Foreign Policy.
SUA insistă pentru renunțarea la brevetele pentru vaccinurile anti-Covid – 5.05
“Aceasta este o criză globală a sănătății, iar circumstanțele extraordinare ale pandemiei Covid-19 solicită măsuri extraordinare”, a declarat reprezentanta SUA pentru comerț, Katherine Tai.
America Shouldn’t Play Favorites With Vaccines – FP, 30.04
Leave trading favors for shots to China and Russia. – By Joshua Tallis, a maritime and polar analyst at the Center for Naval Analyses, and David Knoll, a senior research scientist at CNA’s Center for Countering Threats and Challenges Program.
Don’t Let Drug Companies Create a System of Vaccine Apartheid – FP, 23.02
To avoid repeating the pitfalls of the HIV/AIDS crisis, governments and the WTO must make COVID-19 vaccination a public good by temporarily waiving intellectual property rights and compelling emergency production. By Fatima Hassan
Health Experts Slam Biden’s ‘Massive’ Global Leadership Failure – FP, 30.04
Biden’s speech to Congress ignores his dithering on COVID-19 vaccine patents, jeopardizing millions of lives in other nations, critics say. By Michael Hirsh
Covid vaccines: Should global political leaders abandon patent protections? – BBC Newsnight, 29.04
- Newsnight has learned countries in the WHO have agreed they need to consider sidestepping patents to help with global vaccine supplies.
Can a patent waiver speed up the global COVID vaccination drive? – DW, 29.04
- The world is far from having the number of COVID-19 vaccines needed to vaccinate every single person. Now, over 100 nations are pressing for a temporary patent waiver at the World Trade Organization to help speed up production. Some have suggested pharmaceutical companies are prioritizing profits over lives. Supporters of the waiver demand that know-how and technology be shared more widely – because the pandemic, they say, is an extraordinary, emergency situation. But a string of wealthy countries are opposing the waiver. And some say even if one was put in place, it would not increase vaccine production.
Vaccines are a public good, not a corporate product – Politico, 28.01
Europe should focus on acquiring patents and production licenses, not just vaccines. – Alexis Tsipras, the leader of Greece’s main opposition party SYRIZA-Progressive Alliance, was prime minister of Greece from 2015 to 2019
To Democratize Vaccine Access, Democratize Production – FP, 2.03
U.S. and European COVID-19 shots aren’t enough. It is time to tap into Africa, Asia, and Latin America’s enormous production capacity. By Matthew Kavanagh, Mara Pillinger, Renu Singh, Katherine Ginsbach
- Cum se apără UE de acuzația liderilor din șase state europene care s-au plâns că dozele nu au fost alocate în mod egal – 13.03
- Cinci lideri ai unor state UE au semnat o scrisoare deschisă prin care acuză ”disparitățile uriașe” în privința distribuirii vaccinurilor – 13.03
Countries Are Ramping Up Vaccinations. What About Refugees? – FP, 19.02
With millions stranded in camps with limited access to shots, there’s a big problem looming in the world’s quest to quash COVID-19. By Christina Lu
G-7 Scrambles for Global Vaccine Plan – FP, 19.02
After months of warnings, the group of wealthy nations have begun to put forward solutions to the lopsided distribution of coronavirus vaccines. By Colm Quinn
Vaccine Nationalism Harms Everyone and Protects No One – FP, 2.02
The World Health Organization’s chief argues that hoarding vaccines isn’t just immoral—its medically self-defeating. By Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus
COVID-19 and the cost of vaccine nationalism – RAND, T4 2020
- OMS: ”Naţionalismul” în materie de vaccin nu este compatibil cu lupta împotriva COVID-19 – 7.08.20
- Bill Gates spune că este optimist cu privire la lupta împotriva Covid-19 / Nu dați vaccinurile ”celui mai mare ofertant” – 11.07.20
- Sanofi spune că vaccinul împotriva Covid-19 va fi disponibil simultan în toată lumea – 14.05.20
- Papa Francisc consideră că viitorul vaccin împotriva noului coronavirus trebuie să devină disponibil în lumea întreagă – 3.05.20
- Von der Leyen: Vaccin anti-corona echitabil pentru toți – 2.05.20
- Cele 193 de ţări ale ONU reclamă un “acces echitabil” la “viitoarele vaccinuri” – 21.04.20
Finding a Vaccine Is Only the First Step – FA, 30.04.20
No One Will Be Safe Until the Whole World Is Safe