România și alte patru state UE solicită Comisiei Europene să transmită ”un puternic semnal politic” Marii Britanii din cauza taxelor discriminatorii la intrarea în țară pentru cetățenii români, bulgari, estoni, lituanieni și sloveni
Brexit Is Probably the United Kingdom’s Death Knell – FP, 3.02
An English-led disaster has emboldened others to get out. By Brent Peabody
Why Boris Johnson Won’t Clash With Joe Biden – FP, 20.01
Britain’s prime minister has always been a political weathervane, and he knows the wind from across the Atlantic is now blowing in a different direction. By Jon Allsop
‘Is Joe Biden woke?’: Boris Johnson dodges question about new president – 20.01
- Boris Johnson appeared to be caught off guard when asked whether he thought Joe Biden was ‘woke’ by Sky News’ Sam Coates. “I can’t comment on that … What I know is that he’s a firm believer in the transatlantic alliance,’ Johnson said. The prime minister congratulated Biden and vice-president Kamala Harris, calling their inauguration a ‘step forward for the country [after] a ‘bumpy period’
UK’s pitch to Biden: We’ll work with you on China – Politico, 19.01
London hopes to distinguish itself from Brussels, whose new investment deal with Beijing has gone down badly with the Biden team.
UK sees off rebel MPs over ‘genocide’ amendment targeting China – Politico, 19.01
The Future of Liberal Democracies – CH, 18.01
- Former British prime minister The Rt Hon Tony Blair gives his view on how the UK forms new alliances, how it works with other nations to achieve its aims and the broader role it should play as part of the wider network of liberal democracies.
Turing Scheme: Erasmus Holds Lessons for Global Britain – CH, 13.01
Failure to learn from the EU’s Erasmus+ programme risks designing a replacement that falls short of its potential.
Scotland needs Erasmus, not Britain’s poor replacement – Politico, 29.01
Scotland was instrumental in setting up Erasmus and leaving it lets down young people.
Britain moves towards Anglosphere federation – 21.01
- London is considering an #Anglophone #Federation that includes Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom. The potential is enormous, but can it work?
The man who knows what ‘Global Britain’ means – Politico, 14.01
The UK must remake its path in the world post Brexit — John Bew is charting the way.
- Global Britain, Global Broker – CH, 11.01
A Blueprint for the UK’s Future International Role. Dr Robin Niblett CMG
- How to make ‘Global Britain’ slogan a reality – Robin Niblett, 11.01
If the UK wants worldwide influence, it will have to invest in diplomacy.
EU-UK Relations: Time for a ‘New Normal’ post-Brexit – CH, 8.01
With a trade and cooperation agreement finally in place, the European Union and the UK can now rebuild their broader relationship and focus on shared interests. Professor Richard G Whitman
Britain’s culture war extends beyond Brexit – Politico, 8.01
The Conservatives want to tackle inequality while appealing to traditional Labour voters.
5 ways Brexit got real – Politico, 7.01
EU-UK Relations: Time for a ‘New Normal’ post-Brexit – CH, 5.01
With a trade and cooperation agreement finally in place, the European Union and the UK can now rebuild their broader relationship and focus on shared interests.
L’Europe à 27 : quel avenir pour la relation Royaume-Uni/UE ? – 1.01.21
Future of UK finance: City of London faces uncertainty under EU-UK trade deal – 1.01.21
Brexit : la fin de 48 ans de relations tumultueuses – 1.01.21
- Après 47 ans d’orageuse intégration européenne et après quatre ans et demi de rebondissements suivant le référendum de 2016, c’est l’aboutissement du Brexit, officiel depuis le 31 janvier mais aux effets repoussés par une période transitoire destinée à amortir le choc.
All eyes on new post-Brexit EU-UK customs border – DW, 1.01.21
- After a half-century partnership, Britain has finalized its split with the European Union. Brexit appears off to a smooth start at a key EU-UK trade link – the port of Calais. While things are going smoothly now, both European and British businesses warn of massive disruptions to the flow of trade and people, once the holiday weekend ends.
Brexit: EU and UK publish trade agreement – DW, 26.12
The deal, concluded earlier this week, sees the UK leaving the bloc with unprecedented tariff-free access to the single market of 450 million consumers. Britain has said it wants to maintain close ties with the EU.
What’s in the EU-UK Brexit trade deal? – DW, 26.12
The Brexit trade agreement is meant to ensure the United Kingdom’s smooth departure from one of the world’s biggest trading blocs.
Şi cu acord, Brexitul rămâne o eroare – DW, 26.12
Britanicii nu se despart atât de dramatic de Europa precum se temeau mulţi. Dar pasul rămâne o eroare istorică, în opinia lui Bernd Riegert.
Heiko Maas: Brexitul ne face să vedem clar avantajele apartenenţei la UE – DW, 25.12
În interviul acordat DW, şeful diplomaţiei germane, Heiko Maas, atrage atenţia că Brexitul trebuie să ne dea de gândit. Maas face totodată un bilanţ al preşedinţiei Consiliului UE, deţinute, prin rotaţie, de Germania.
Can Scotland become independent? – Al Jazeera, 26.12
- The First Minister tweeted that what is happening is ‘against Scotland’s will’. In the 2016 Brexit referendum, 62 percent of voters in Scotland opted to remain in the European Union. Since then, calls for independence have grown. But will an independent Scotland be allowed to join the EU?
Brexit going forward: Who are the winners and losers? – DW, 25.12
- No one really thought the UK would vote to leave the EU. But they did and it up-ended politics in Britain and the EU. When it takes effect it will change many aspects of life for people on both sides of the English Channel.
- Leaving the European Union. Leaving all the restrictions, duties, and the benefits of being part of a greater whole. Leaving behind freedom of movement, simple trade, and hundreds of common rules covering everything from human rights to light-bulb specifications.
How does Britain’s parliament approve the Brexit trade deal? – 24.12
- Britain and the European Union agreed terms of a trade deal on Thursday after months of knife-edge negotiations and seven days before transitional arrangements come to an end. That gives #Britain‘s #parliament just days to scrutinise and pass the laws needed to implement the deal before a Dec. 31 deadline.
Britain and E.U. form Brexit deal, averting a chaotic breakup – PBS, 24.12
- Following nine months of tense negotiations, Britain and the European unions have at last hammered out a post-Brexit trade deal. The agreement averts a chaotic and costly breakup. Amna Nawaz spoke with Robin Niblett, director of the British think tank Chatham House, to learn more on the breakthrough.
Brexit trade deal finally agreed – BBC, 24.12
- A post-Brexit trade deal has finally been agreed, four and a half years after the UK voted to leave the European Union.
‘It is mostly what we were expecting’: EU, UK reach an agreement on Brexit – 24.12
- European and British negotiators finalised a post-#Brexit trade #deal on Thursday, officials from both sides said. “We have finally found an agreement,” the president of the European Commission Ursula von der Leyen said. The announcement came after days of intense back and forth between von der Leyen and British Prime Minister Boris Johnson.
EU & UK strike last-minute Brexit trade deal – DW, 24.12
- The deal is done. After months of uncertainty, Britain and the European Union have struck an agreement on a post-Brexit trade deal. EU Commission President Ursula von der Leyen spoke from Brussels and UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson held a news conference from Downing Street in London. The last-ditch deal sealed with just eight days to go before the existing trade arrangements expire. The agreement should avert a chaotic New Year spilt. January 1st marks the end of the transition period for the UK leaving the EU.
Boris Johnson holds news conference after Brexit trade deal reached – 24.12
- Boris Johnson briefs the public after signing off on an historic post-Brexit trade and security deal with the European Union in a telephone call with Ursula von der Leyen on Christmas eve morning, four and a half years after Britain chose to leave the bloc.
Press conference by President Von der Leyen and Chief Negotiator Michel Barnier – 24.12
Brexit : retour sur quatre années riches en rebondissements – 24.12
- L’Union européenne et le Royaume-Uni sont sur le point, le 24 décembre, de conclure un accord sur leurs relations commerciales post-Brexit, éloignant ainsi la perspective d’un divorce chaotique au terme d’un feuilleton qui a porté un rude coup au projet d’unité européenne né sur les ruines de la Deuxième Guerre mondiale. (Rétrospective des quatre années de Brexit)
Why the World Should Root for the EU in Brexit Talks – FP, 22.12
If Brussels folds, it will mark the end of the last, best hope for stopping a race to the bottom. By Edward Alden